Contrary to popular belief (widely held by men mostly), women are not hard to please. If you’re getting a gift for a woman, all you need to do is give some thought to her likes and dislikes. There is a vast array of gift options for women to suit all budgets and occasions – can’t say the same for men!
If however, you don’t know the likes and dislikes of the lady in question or are short on time, there are some classic gift ideas to fall back on.
5 timeless fashion accessories that make for good gifts for women
1. Pearls: Get jewellery – not just any jewellery, make it pearls. Think Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany’s and you’ll know what we are talking about. Pearls are elegant and timeless. A simple strand is enough to earn you brownie points. A strand of pearls around the wrist, or one around the neck, pretty pearl danglers for the ears or even a pearl brooch – there are several designs and options to choose from.
2. A little black clutch: This is an indispensable piece of fashion accessory for women. Even if she already owns a few, one more is always welcome. A black clutch goes with every single outfit and can be embellished with brooches and pins for a festive look. Choose a simple design; many come with embellishments and bows, others have elegant thread work and yet others might have a contrasting band. To play safe, go for an all-black in velvet or suede, with a linked, chain shoulder strap.
3. Perfume: It’s difficult to go wrong with this one. Women love to smell good and what’s more, there are different perfumes for different times of the day — floral for the day time, musky for the night, citrusy for summers and so on. So test a few and choose one that you think has the best fragrance. If you’re unsure, go for the classic brands – Elizabeth Arden, Chanel No. 5, Dior and Nina Ricci. They are on the expensive side, but if the lady in question is special, it’s money well spent.
4. Scarves: Gift a scarf in a pretty pastel or floral design – Hermes or H&M are favourites with fashionistas. Make sure the scarf is made of silk for that pretty, floaty look when tied around the neck. Branded scarves are a tad expensive, so you can always look for local offerings. Several online shopping sites offer scarves that look effortlessly chic and at great prices!
5. Watches: Nothing says timeless more than a beautiful watch. Choose from classic designs – with pretty interlinked chain bracelets, delicate watch faces with silver numbers engraved into them, some watches look like a piece of jewellery.
You can get them in silver or gold, sometimes with rhinestones or precious gems embedded in them. If your wallet permits, choose from high fashion brands like Cartier, Omega and Guess. Or go one step further and source a vintage watch. Vintage watches have a timeless appeal that’s hard to beat.
So there you have it, 5 timeless gift ideas for women.
*Glad2bawoman is an online media company for women with over 75,000 community members. Visit www.glad2bawoman.com to read articles on leisure, empowerment, relationships, health and fashion.